We were proud to partner with the Alabama Gerontological Society (AGS) for the annual statewide essay contest. The contest was open to fourth, fifth and sixth grade students. They each wrote an essay about their favorite adults. The 13 winners got their pictures in the AGS calendar along with excerpts from their essays. The grand prize winner was Joshua Topliss, a fourth-grader from Decatur. He wrote about his Grandmother, Lynell Kukielski, and the life lessons she has taught him.
The other winners were:
- Alayna Pody, a sixth-grader from R.L. Young Elementary School in Talladega, wrote about her Great-Grandfather, Gene Hodnett.
- Alexis Locke, a sixth-grader from Andalusia Middle School in Andalusia, wrote about her Grandmother, Marjorie Paskins.
- Blake Battle, a fourth-grader from Midfield Elementary School in Midfield, wrote about his Great-Great-Grandfather, Ocie Battle, Sr.
- DeAndrea Jones, a sixth-grader from Baldwin Arts and Academics Magnet School in Montgomery, wrote about her Great-Grandmother, Amandia James.
- Jamya Tyus, a fourth-grader from Charles Hard Elementary School in Bessemer, wrote about her Great-Grandmother, Earnestine Smith.
- Emma Caroline White, a sixth-grader from New Brockton Elementary in New Brockton, wrote about her Great-Grandfather, Melvin Marsh.
- Mattison Brewster, a fifth-grader from R. A. Mitchell Elementary School in Gadsden, wrote about her Grandmother, Willie Bell Bishop.
- Tri’Anna Catherine Carlisle, a fourth-grader from Leon Sheffield Magnet School in Decatur, wrote about her Grandmother, Catherine Temple.
- Baylee Robertson, a sixth-grader from Andalusia Middle School in Andalusia, wrote about his Godfather, Elmore Lewis, Jr.
- Jarroll Richardson, a fifth-grader from Jackson Elementary School in Birmingham, wrote about his Grandmother Ella Richardson.
- Keyanna Brown, a fifth-grader from Oakdale Elementary School in Tuscaloosa, wrote about her Grandmother, Carolyn Harris.
- Ana Hargrove, a fifth-grader from Oakdale Elementary School in Tuscaloosa, wrote about her Grandmother, Elizabeth Hargrove.
To find the full press release, click here.