With Thanksgiving just a few weeks away, our very own Good Heat Chef, Chris Vizzina shared an incredible Focaccia Dressing recipe on the Fox 6’s Good Day Alabama show.
From Chef Chris Vizzina:
This has become a staple for the Vizzina family and friends at Thanksgiving. For years, my uncle Joe Vizzina and I would make the sausage ourselves for our family and friends. Now, my cousins at SRA Foods make the sausage fresh from scratch for me and their customers. My father, Sidney Vizzina, always insisted that we celebrate our Italian Heritage by eating Italian Sausage during the holidays. I combined the sausage with the dressing to please as many people as possible, and it has worked for the past few years. I’ve even started stuffing our turkey under the skin with pesto butter to give the bird an Italian flair. Every holiday, I have so many things cooking at one time, if it weren’t for natural gas, I would most definitely trip a breaker!
Happy Holidays, and I hope you enjoy the Focaccia Dressing – from my family, to yours!
Focaccia Dressing with Local Italian Sausage, Apples and Sage
About 20 servings
10 cups focaccia bread, cubed and toasted
1.5 lb. Italian sausage mild, taken out of the casing
2 T butter
2 cups Onion, diced small
2 cups Celery, diced small
2 granny smith apples, peeled cored and diced medium
1 1/2 cups of cranberries or raisins
1 cup Walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup sage
1 T fresh thyme, chopped
1 cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish
- Place toasted bread in mixing bowl
- In a large non-stick pan, render sausage until cooked evenly and broken up into small pieces
- Add cooked sausage to bread cubes and toss
- In the same pan, add a couple of T of olive oil and sauté onions and celery until translucent, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add apples and cranberries or raisins ,walnuts, sage, thyme and parsley, to the bread and sausage mixture
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs into chicken stock until fully incorporated
- Pour chicken stock and egg mixture over bread, nuts and fruit. Mix well so all bread is coated
- Bake for 30 minutes covered and then another 15 minutes uncovered ,dressing is done when golden brown