If you smell natural gas (smells like rotten eggs) indoors, leave the building immediately and call 911 or 1-800-292-4008. As you exit, do not ignite a flame or turn on or off an electrical device (lights, fixed or mobile phones, etc.). Leave the door open as you leave. Do not use e-mail or the internet to contact the company about a leak, and never assume someone else has reported the leak. Alert your neighbors. Do not return until told that it is safe to do so by someone in authority (gas supplier employee, police, fireman, etc.).
Even if you don’t immediately recognize the source of escaping natural gas, follow the rule of leaving the building and calling for help elsewhere.
Here are some additional safety tips regarding the use of natural gas:
- When cooking over a flame, don’t wear loose clothing or spray cooking oil. Do not place flammable substances near the flame. These include anything that will burn–such as paper towels, fabric or food packaging– nearby.
- Children should never attempt to light natural gas logs or space heaters.
- Never play with the valves that turn gas logs on and off.
- Always remove the gas log valve key and store it in a safe place, away from the reach of children.
- Always open the chimney flue before lighting gas logs unless the logs are the ventless style.
- Never wear loose clothing or place flammable materials of any kind near a natural gas space heater. Never dry clothing on a natural gas space heater.
- Draperies should never be located near a natural gas flame (cooking range, space heater, etc.).
- When cooking, don’t allow the flame to come up around the sides of a cooking pot. This wastes energy and presents a fire hazard.
- Never use natural gas cooking appliances for drying clothes or heating a room.
- Natural gas appliances should be inspected periodically to ensure that they are burning efficiently. Check manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never store flammable liquids–including gasoline, kerosene, paint thinners or other solvents– near a natural gas appliance.
- Do not store gasoline-operated machines– including lawn mowers, blowers, string trimmers, chain saws or edgers– near a natural gas appliance.
- Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher in your kitchen
For more natural gas safety information, visit safety.alagasco.com.