When choosing an HVAC contractor, be sure to do your research. Buying a new unit can be pricey, but you want good equipment and the job done right. Here are a few tips to help you make the best choice for your home.
- Get estimates for the equipment and installation from several contractors. It is not unusual for these estimates to differ by as much as $1,000, so get at least two or three.
- The lowest estimate is not always the best choice. Pay close attention to the quality, energy savings and warranty. All of these are worth the extra up-front cost.
- Make sure the contractor is fully bonded and insured.
- If you are not familiar with them, ask for customer references…and of course, follow-up with the references.
- You should receive an estimate in writing. The estimate should include a breakdown of the cost of equipment and labor. Never do business with a company that gives you an estimate over the phone without looking at the job that needs to be done.
- Expect a home evaluation. The contractor should inspect your current system and be able to estimate what you energy bills will likely be with the new system.
Go to Alagasco.com to find a certified contractor near you. These contractors may also offer financing through Alagasco and are knowledgeable with the Alagasco appliance rebate program.